Regardless of your dogs breed, age or size, it's important to look after their heart! The following recipe contains heart strengthening, anti-oxidant busting ingredients, all of which are guaranteed to get tails wagging like bunnies! (NOTE: please feed sparingly, the following recipe is designed to be a treat and not substitute a well balanced meal for your dog. Cut into tiny pieces, this makes for an excellent training treat)!
And now for the Science bit.....
Calcium - helps with heart muscle contraction (yogurt)
Potassium - protects the heart from heart disease (banana)
Magnesium - maintains heart rhythm (oats)
Vitamin C - helps protect the heart from free radicals (strawberries)
Omega Oils - a super oil to help protect the heart (oily fish, olive oil)
2 cups of porridge oats
1/2 cup of natural yogurt
1 cup of your dogs kibble
1/2 tin of tuna or salmon
1 mashed banana
Drizzle of honey
Drizzle of olive oil
Strawberries to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 150 degrees.
- Drizzle a baking tray with a little olive oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash up your banana, add oats, eggs, tinned fish and bashed up kibble, squeeze of honey.
- YOU WANT THE MIXTURE TO LOOK A LITTLE LIKE A FLAPJACK MIXTURE add more or less Oat and Kibble if too wet or add a little more egg if too dry.
- Smear and smoosh the mixture onto the baking tray until flat and about an inch thick. Bake for about 20 minutes, depending on the consistency it may need longer so keep your eye on it!
- Remove from the tray and leave cool on a chopping board.
- Cut into little squares and put a dollop of yogurt onto each slice and garnish with a slither of strawberry.
- Prepare yourself for excessive salivating and willingness to suddenly perform that trick you've been trying to teach them for the past few weeks! :)
ENJOY & HAPPY EASTER :-)